Hornfolks: (full time pros may ignore this)

Do you remember the days when NP orchestras allowed us
to participate FREE of charge?

This is probably  in-line with the concert band funding thread.  It is
indeed a crying shame that the same communities who will
gladly fund a rock concert, will balk at providing even less money
for a brass band to play at the local ball game.  This is part of the
reason we are now paying our own way in these groups-or else
they would die on the vine.

These days, I must pay hundreds of dollars a year just
to play in some of the larger NP ensembles around the area.  A
group in Japan was no exception-they charged a whopping $200.00
per month, plus hotel fees.  Clothing accessories, hotel fees, food,
train fees, and more all required the participant to pay out-of-pocket.

The strangest thing of all is that some of the same NP orchestras
who charge their regular members several hundred dollars a year
to play will, when necessary, hire a professional to fill in a vacant
slot in the group on a temporary basis.  Some NP groups will
hire a professional on a steady basis (without informing the other
members of this-for obvious reasonsd).

Rachel Harvey