from: JerryJ
>I just wanted to set the record straight:
from: harveycor
<referencing original response to Snapfoo>
from: Jerry J
>naptha
from: harveycor
>>QUICK fix
from: JerryJ
>minor carcinogen
from: harveycor
>>lighter fluid must be washed out asap
from: Jerry J
>much more volatile.
from: harveycor
>>..not smoking around lighter fluid
from: Jerry J
>mostly kerosene
from: harveycor
>>Take the lighter fluid (kerosene) and put just a FEW
DROPs
from: Herb Foster
>Horn in a vise??? Detergent on a bird??? Surely you jest.

from: harveycor:
No. I do not jest.  If I jest, the post will say 'humour' and
'fiction'.

Dawn is OK for birdies, cats, dogs, etc because it will cut the
grease and oil very gently without leaving a residue.  It would be
obvious to select the type of Dawn least likely to cause residue
to form (the clearer the better).

It is indeed possible to give a bird a bath using 2 DROPS to 1 GALLON
of clear, warm water, not getting it into the eyes and rinsing all of it
off right away.

Qualifying this statement:
1) The advice was given by a well known breeder of cockatiels
2) We have owned sets of cockatiels for over 20 years.
3) We currently have two male birds.  One of them is 22 yrs old.
Percy has had his share of baths with Dawn-and there were never
any problems.  BTW, a cockatiel's normal lifespan is 21 yrs.

I omitted to mention that it's best not to bathe a bird, even with
plain water (aside from a squirt bottle) unless that bird has
become too dirty to clean itself.
I've already explained and apologized onlist about the vise.
Once more, if someone didn't get it last time-I knew that
there was a reference from a repair person about using a vise
to hold a horn (but only a certain WAY as defined by Jerry
Houston).

Initially, I was bit careless in putting that statement out there
when I could not identify the source where I'd heard it was ok
to use a vise.  The apology has already been given.

You may wish to check Jerry Houston's post about vises.
Many thanks to all repair folks who replied on list.

Rachel Harvey