These problems (soft playing along with 2 clarinets as a
quartet) is solved by the use of a cone mute mostly ( I
would not need that as I can even whisper on the F-side),
but the cone a bit lifted.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Klaus Bjerre
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 2:13 AM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Web Resources (was Norma - 2)

 In the 2nd act Bellini comes up with a quartet of the
clarinets and the 1st pair of horns. "Norma"-lly one would
expect the clarinets taking the 2 top parts, but Bellini
juxtaposes the instruments in a way, which will kill the
important 2nd clarinet harmony notes, if the first horn does
not play with the outmost discretion. If I were asked to
play any of the horn parts of this opera (which will not
happen, even if they are not really difficult from a
technical point of view), then I rather would bring my 5
valve small bell single Bb Hoyer rather than my Conn 28D
double.

I could go on ranting about instrumentation issues of this
score, but I would go beyond horn relevancy.

Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre