Previous:
(from me:)
>Steve,.....
>Don't play etudes that you don't enjoy.  There are
>many different ways to develop as a horn player
>without needing to practice drudgery that you don't
like.....

Then, Richard wrote:

The etudes I do not relish are the ones which
challenge me to go beyond my present level.  If I
avoid them because they are unpleasant, I will end up
treading water, going nowhere.  No pain, no gain.
Ultimately I
think it's more fun to try to be a good horn player
than a mediocre one, even if one does not succeed.

Richard

_______________________________________

My followup:

Richard,
While I acknowledge your comment on not liking
difficult etudes, I want to clarify that I did not
suggest to Steve to avoid difficult etudes.

I see no relationship between the technical difficulty
of music and its enjoyment.  Some of the most
technically difficult music (and etudes) are the most
enjoyable.  In fact, I prefer being with ensembles
that play more difficult music.  Many of us feel great
satisfaction in progressing with our horn playing, and
the only way to see the progress is by playing more
difficult music.  Simple music can always be a
challenge, too, to play simple music more beautifully.
 I find some of the simple horn passages to be
artistically challenging.
Regards,
Larry