[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What  good does it do to
teach others to practice what they don't like,  when
the end result is their * quitting music  altogether?

*"Sometimes" is the important missing word here.

One particular student of mine comes to mind - She had to be bullied  into
practising things she didn't like doing.  Giving her only what she  enjoyed
would have been to fail her and, since I was being paid to teach her,  would
have
been to take money under false pretences.

She cried almost every lesson during one period leading up to her final
exam.  Last Wednesday, some 15 years after her last lesson with  me, she came
listen the rehearsal of the music I had written for her  wedding and we
remembered the occasion fondly.

What she wanted and what she needed were two different things: then  she
couldn't see it, now she can.

If my mother had only fed me the ice cream I liked I would be dead by  now.

All the best,

Lawrence

"þaes  ofereode - þisses swa maeg"

_http://lawrenceyates.co.uk_ (http://lawrenceyates.co.uk/)