The anti-humorous thing is it, that we care most for
blending the sound at best, but studio manager, recording
technicians, (deaf) conductors, orchestra manager dont care
except for the budget. It happen so many times, that
(special public TV companies) they show the wrong
instruments at the wrong time during a TV-ed concert. It
seems, that it doesn´t matter for them, if e.g. two
completely different principal horns  - really different,
but equally good players -  are scheduled for different
sessions even without care for the pieces just begun the
other day by the other player. It all does not matter, if
the working schedule is performed & no one is missing. But
sometimes, even the conductor changes (famous example:
Alpine Symphony with the Bavarian State Orchestra conducted
by Richard Strauss - 1941 - but the stage band conductor
Walter Seifert conducted the second part of the symphony -
there is evidence by a thanks letter written by then
cultural minister Dr.Goebbels himself. I have seen the real
letter.) .

So, if you get in such a situation, just play at your best,
so you get invited again. Dont think too much, just be
professionally & think MONEY-MONEY-MONEY.