If the valve caps are hand engraved (means deep engraving),
the horn should be from that time.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Steve Freides
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:17 PM
To: 'The Horn List'
Subject: [Hornlist] Alex 103 - history?

I have read online "history" of the Conn 8D - when it was
made here and there, which serial numbers correspond to
which years and points of manufacture, and the reputation of
each of these, e.g., Elkharts are supposed to be the best
(although I know not everyone agrees with this, of course).
I've also heard similar things about some Paxman models,
e.g., a pre-19xx is better (or was it worse, I don't
remember).

Is there something similar for the Alexander 103?  I had a
chance to play my teacher's and very much liked it, and I'm
considering purchasing a used one that the current owner
thinks is from circa 1950.

Thanks very much in advance.

-S-