Jeremy,

Sorry, you missed my point, and I did not take it personally at all as  I did
get paid union scale!  This was an "experimental" session  in quad.  They
must have had 72 tracks and mikes to match.  The year  was about 1978 or 79.
There were lights on our mikes, and they were  OFF!  I looked up the recording,
it is re-released on CD now, Sony SMK  45844, Boulez conducting Varese w/NYPhil
and other groups.  This was the  old crew from CBS, Andy Kazdin, Bud Graham,
etc.  All good producers,  engineers, etc.  I worked with them a lot in
Phila., Marlboro and  NYC.  I just thought it was really funny!  We all did.
As to
direct miking of horns, I agree with you.  That day, the mikes were pointed
at the wall behind us, as I recall, and were above our heads.  Andy Kazdin,
and his buddy, John McClure, liked multi channel mixing in big, reverberant
rooms.  It was not unusual for them to mike the horn solos with a direct  mike
and mix it in with the indirect sound for more presence.  In small  commercial
studios, the good engineers always miked horns indirect, the bad ones
directly.

As to MN Beethoven 5 recording, this was done after I left the orchestra so
I have no idea who is involved there now.

Shooting is too kind.  They should have to listen to their mistakes  cranked
up to 120 DB and slowly go deaf.  Oops, maybe they are deaf  already?   Yeah,
but poison them slowly instead of shooting.

KB

In a message dated 7/14/2006 1:02:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,