Our resident cabbagatologist as usually is very smart. He even gets his
spelling almost right!

We shall not discuss neither religion. nor politics, especially in these
troublesome days. Yet I
may briefly tell of my own standing.

I am brought up in a very liberal Protestant family environment, but the local
church environment
was so conservative, that I left the Church of Denmark at age 20. Since then I
was very well
educated as a teacher in religion, even if my focal points were music and
literature. I have done
innumerable church concerts as a player or as a conductor. Today I am the
conservative, as I am
very close to the Old Testament style Jews. I recently discussed this with the
priest/pastor who
baptized my youngest daughter. I told, that I was not ashamed of being a Jew,
as Jesus was one
himself. He never ever read any part of the New Testament. The theologist
bought my arguments, as
he said, that Jesus could not be understood as anything but a Jew. Even my very
old father,
formerly the chairman of his local church, accepts my standing. I have gotten
very high marks for
my religion teaching by a government inspector, even if the headmaster had told
him about my
positions.

I actually happen to have a point with this posting:

Even if one can read the original texts in Hebrew or Greek, none of the
original terms can be
translated precisely to either of the three languages into which I have read
the bible: Danish,
German, and English (the King James version).

A funny sample may be found in a very musical context from Händel’s Der
Messias/The Messiah. There
is this famous trumpet/vocal-bass duel/duet. In English the opening line is:
The trumpet shall
sound. The German text says: Sie schallt, die Posaune (She sounds, the
trombone).

When Mozart re-instrumentated The Messiah for his available Austrian musicians,
there was no
trumpet player, who could do the then obsolete baroque style clarino part. So
WAM took the brass
part down an octave and gave it to a horn in D.

The Shofar was a trumpet made out of a ram’s horn, so both terms of trumpet and
horn will go
without being a lie. I seem to remember something about the Jerusalem temple
having silver
trumpets, but I cannot find the quotation. With all respect to the old Jews:
they did not have
slide trombones. These are a medieval European invention, so Luther is wrong in
his translation at
this point (my guess is that Händel used a German protestant bible, and they
all are based on
Luther’s work).

The main 3 bible versions I know about (plus some old and some modern Danish
versions) do not
concur in every detail, even if they agree on the main message, which I do dare
to boil down to 2
or 3 words depending on the language (the last sample is Danish): Praise the
Lord! Lobet den
Herrn! Exultate Deo! Tiljubler Herren!

This is a very personal demonstration of my biases. Don’t let them be object of
discussions. But
then I had to tell them to get my horn related message through.

And if we shall have some final considerations:
Mahler has some very remarkable horn calls, which Leonard Bernstein considered
being a reference
to the Shofar playing of the Jewish priests. He also has some remarkable
trumpet signals with
references to his surrounding very militarily based Austrian-Hungarian double
monarchy.

I have around 65 brasses, 10 of them horns, and I have considered buying a
Shofar. But I am
extremely allergic, so I do not dare to buy even one of the “sanitized” ones
available from
Israel. And I won’t go with one of the plastic samples also available on the
market.

You know me as an old man ranting, but then you could have deleted this posting
by the notion of
my name.

Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre