Hi JY in Bangkok,

Thanks for your post.  I am not necessarily challenging the wisdom that
low practice helps high playing.  I agree that a lot of very successful
high players use low playing to work on their high register.  Your
scream trumpet example is right on the money.

My question surrounds what the lesson to take away from low playing
is.  It seems that the scream trumpet players maybe aren't just trying
to get the best low playing they can, and then automatically get an
increase in high register performance.  Maybe that is the case.  Or
maybe there is something specific they are focusing on that really
helps bring sophistication, dependability, strength, etc. to their high
register.

I think Steve Freides pointed out a couple valuable things -- there is
a great deal of air control required for low playing, plus a certain
amount of relaxed, controlled tension.  I certainly feel more in
control of my tension when I'm playing low, like I have it in the right
places and none of the wrong places, whereas I generally just squeeze
everything I've got when I'm trying to play high :)  So in fact I think
I will start focusing on how I get the "correct tension" when I'm
playing low.  But I wonder if I could go even further in having smart,
focused practice and awareness.

Ideas?

Regards,
Marc