Another double post from Cape Town, folks.

The 38th International Horn Symposium ended last
Friday evening.  From the first notes (played by Jeff
Snedeker, during his Sunday afternoon talk on the horn
in jazz) until the last (played by the South Africa
Army Band, Cape Town, during a performance which got
much of the audience, including the immediate past
president of the IHS and your correspondant, among
many others, up on their feet and dancing in aisles)
the Symposium was a smashing success.  The music, the
friendships, the city...  It was great fun and
tremendously rewarding.

It's no secret that a new South African organizing
team had to step in at the last moment to ensure that
the Symposium would happen at all.  With the help of
IHS Advisory Council members, they pulled it off in
spectacular fashion.

This symposium was smaller than those in the recent
past.  The cost, the distance, and the fact that, to
many westerners, the idea of travelling to Africa is
scary combined to keep the numbers down.  Numbers
proved not to be a problem.  Andrew Joy might have
said it best:  Small is beautiful.  (Actually, that's
my free translation of the German phrase that he used:
 Klein, aber fein.)

There was an intimacy about this meeting, a sense of
commaraderie, that was much more pronounced than at
others I've attended.  Pros, students, and small town,
small time semi-pros (such as myself) found themselves
hanging out with each other and enjoying each other's
company.  And, as I mentioned, in a previous post, the
music-making was always very good and often dazzling.

A few random observations...

Multiphonics--played in tune, musically, and in moving
lines--would seem to have become a necessary part of
the technique of anyone who aspires to play
contemporary music, jazz, or, as in the case of Frank
Lloyd, their own transcriptions of Bach tocattas and
fugues.  We heard a lot of multiphonics, and I'm here
to tell you that they're not just a gimmick anymore.

The three serious jazzers on the program--Snedeker,
Marshall Sealy, and Adam Lesnick--all played
large-throated, Krupe-wrap, F-Bflat double horns.

The quality of playing offered by horn instructors
from US universities was exceedingly high.  Kudos and
bravos to Nancy Joy (New Mexico State U), Michelle
Strebelton (Florida State U), Snedeker (Central
Washington U), and my fellow Virginians Abigail Pack
(James Madison U) and Wally Easter (Virginia Tech).

Most of the soloists played double horns.  Triples
were greatly outnumbered.

Grace, elegance, and elan:  Bruno Schneider.  Probably
the most lyrical reading of a Mozart concerto that
I've ever heard.

We heard at least one very fine new work that deserves
to be published and a find a place in the standard
repertoire:  South African composer Michael Viljoen's
"Ukuhlanganisa" for horn and piano.  Contemporary,
technically brilliant, and accessible.

Gotta to to work.  I can hear the siren call of the
Cape Town libraries and archives.

BTW, I've posted more photos from the symposium on one
of my web galleries.  Here's the link:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/IHSCapeTown

New photos are on page two.  Click on the thumbnails
to see larger images.

--John

J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia

DEMOCRACY OF SPEED, a Photo Documentary Project:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html