The great Maynard Ferguson died last night.

I remember playing a gig with him one time in SoCal many years ao. He and his group of hotshots from UT came to play with the Agoura Hills Concert Band. One of the charts they wanted to play had a horn tessitura hanging on c''' forever with an 8vb ossia. I asked if they wanted the high octave. The lead trumpet player from his group asked, "You can do that?" My stand mate and I, a 15 year old kid playing a single F, proceeded to blow the snot out of the part causing the trumpets to move their stands back another couple of feet. MF and his guys were blown away and very complimentary to us both. "They're only notes", I replied. MF laughed, then asked for another 8va. I told him to get a job. His boys laughed so hard they fell off their chairs!

We played his trademark "Hey Jude" with our band wandering around out in the audience, vamping 'till the cows came home, MF screaming god knows what into the stratosphere.

What a great man, great musician, great teacher. The world is smaller for his passing.

   Bo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/24/AR2006082400923.html