From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Paul Kampen
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:10 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Speed of crook changing?

Message text written by The Horn List
>the crook holder we use is one of those bendy rubbery
plastic things
simply
bent over into hooks on either end so that it hangs onto the
stand and has a lower "u" shaped bit to hang the crooks on
(sounds more complicated than it

is) <

Dear All

When we did the on-stage wind octet in Act 2 Scene X111 of
Mozart's Don Giovanni on hand horns many moons ago (I still
have a photo of us in the costumes - good for a laugh!) we
hung the crooks (D, F and B flat) round our necks on lengths
of ribbon.  The late lamented Richard Mereweather came to
the show one night when we were on tour (Oxford I seem to
recall but it was a very long time ago) and was not
impressed.  He said that Mozart's players would have hung
them over their wrists for quick changes. To follow
yesterday's posts about this method - was it used in
Mozart's day?

Cheers

Paul A. Kampen (W. Yorks UK)