Message text written by The Horn List
>I just played a concert with a university symphony orchestra that has got
into the habit of using an assistant principal for absolutely everything
they play.<

Dear All

This can be 'jobs for the boys' in the profession.

I once 'bumped' (for US listers that translates as 'played assistant') in
one of the BBC orchestras for two sessions one day.  I played about 10
notes all day and my main function was to get the teas in at the break and
go out and buy the 1st horn a can of de-icer for his car when the
management were not looking.

More sadly, I once bumped in Haydn's 'London' Symphony No 104 - did not
play a note and was instructed just to play if the 1st horn succumbed to a
nervous breakdown in the concert (he didn't).

And I once bumped a very well known player (now retired) in Stravinsky's
'Rite of Spring' with the instruction of "it doesn't matter if you do not
play - you can leave the horn in its case for all we care - you are there
to make sure he (the 1st horn) does not get lost and WOE BETIDE YOU if you
let him!!"

Regards

Paul A. Kampen (W. Yorks UK)