Well, our friend is at it again.  To re-state what I said about the
Gliere Concerto about standing up toe-to-toe with the large Piano
Concerti of Rachmaninov & Tchaikowsky and some of the standard violin
fare, one must look further into what I say.

True the Gliere is overly sentimental, but so are these other
aforementioned concerti.  One must deal with medium bias of
adjudicators when dealing in open concerto contests.  A hornist could
play a perfect Rosetti, Danzi, Mozart or Strauss 1, but still not get
into a prize round if a bombastic pianist slices through Rachmaninov or
Tchaikowsky.  The same could go with a cellist entering with the Dvorak
concerto or Violinist with Tchaikowsky, Brahms, Beethoven, etc.

If missed rhythms, intonation, mistrikes, by pianists and string
players are missed (or forgiven) by adjudicators, the same leeway is
not given to wind players, especially brasses.  In fact, slight errors
often accentuated if one picks classical or early romantic literature.
Also, the sheer length of the Piano and Violin repertory make the
literature more 'worthy' in the minds of adjudicators.  I've seen this
over and over again and when I have the opportunity to serve on such
committees, I am a staunch advocate of removing cultural bias from a
committee. A few times I've been successful, but more often than not
I've been outvoted.  One particular time was after a trombonist played
the living daylights out of the Ferdinand David Concertino, one judge
actually said "Well, that instrument isn't as hard to master as the
violin."  Only great restraint had to keep me in my chair to keep from
strangling that brainiac!  I went into a 5 minute tirade after another
echoed the same comments.  Unfortunately, that is the world we inherit.
 Is it right? No.  Is it fair? No.  Is there a double standard?
Absolutely!

To be successful, we have to be better than any pianist or string
player.  What this means is that we have to absolutely nail the notes.
Any missed note will be remembered (not the same for other mediums).
As musicians, we must make music.  Playing the notes is not enough.
Pick something that you can sink your teeth into and create beautiful
phrasing.
While the Hindemith Concerto is a quality piece, it just doesn't have
the appeal as other concerti in our repertory.

The Gliere concerto stands up to other standard concerti of other
instruments with regards to length, as well as sections of display vs.
cantabile passages.  Certainly the 'listenability' factor helps.  Is it
overly sentimental?  Certainly.  However, it does give the soloist the
necessary material and wherewithal to transcend this.  If you treat the
material as 'sappy', then you will play it as such.  If you believe
this concerto is not your cup of tea, fine.  There are others you can
explore.  However, if you are entering in competitions, you must play
the game.

While the Larrson Concertino is a gem of a piece, I don't believe it is
a strong enough selection to win an open competition.  There are other
worthy pieces with which I could also add to this comment.

While not everyone will agree with what I have written, I have been
around the block a few times and have the experience to verify what I
say.  You can disagree with my observations if you wish; you certainly
have that prerogative.

Other substantial works that may also be worthy to consider for open
competitions:

Tomasi:  Concerto
Schoek:  Concerto (this could be a stretch for not only players but
committees)

Sincerely,

Dr. Eldon Matlick,  Horn Professor, University of Oklahoma
Principal Hornist, OK City Philharmonic
500 W Boyd
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4093 off. (405) 325-7574 fax