We have had discussions about mellophones and descant horns before. The
American mellophones come
in a lot of variations, mostly with pistons, and rarely looking anything like
descant horns.

Czech/German mellophones mostly have 3 rotors for the right hand. A few have 3
rotors for the left
hand, but both types most often have a characteristic open wrap main tuning
slide parallel with
the 1st valve slide, so I rarely am in doubt whether given samples should
happen to be descant
horns.

However an instrument engraved

FRIEDR. SCHLOTT
GOHLIS-LEIPZIG

Gohlis is a quarter in Leipzig.

You can see the instrument here:

http://tinyurl.com/ftla4

First of all I believe, that the slides for the main tuning slide and for the
3rd valve have been
switched by an error.

What makes me suspect a descant horn is the wrap of the main tuning slide,
which slightly reminds
me of AlexanderÂ’s way with their G and F descants. I also find the overall bore
being smaller than
on mellophones.

Maybe some of you know an instrument like this one.

A quite original way of wrapping a single descant horn may be seen here

http://tinyurl.com/zy4l3

It was made while Germany still had courts. It has tubing enough for a good
leadpipe taper and for
a long tuning slide. But then it also has more fake tubing. That is tubing with
no sound-waves
travelling through it.

Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre