From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
matthew scheffelman
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 1:27 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] RE ;Conductors, difference between Old School and New
School

Hans,

Maybe you have answered one crucial question.What is
the difference between the old greats and the
newer"super stars"?  In one of your most recent posts
you mentioned LISTENING. Listening is One of the
qualities lacking both in modern conductors and modern
quasi Musicians. Even at the highest levels today,
listening has only become used for the answer to "I am
in tune, I am playing the right rhythm, therefor I am
right". The contrary to this is flexibility, shaping
of the sound.... etc.....

Many modern conductors learn their scores by FOLLOWING
along with a recording. Even great ones use this
technique. While the opportunity to conduct may be
farther a few between, many conductors are learning
MANY bad habits with this method.

I believe the "New School" of conductors is quite
great in many areas and with many people. For
starters, it is a different way of going about
rehearsal because of the extreme performance technique
of the modern orchestral musician. There are not many
reasons to be "old school" and yell rant and rave at
the orchestra as there are MUCH fewer mistakes in
execution by the top level orchestras. The
relationship between the orchestra and the music
director has changed also. There are more
collaborations about programs between a "musicians
committee" and the music director so programs and
taste can be shown to come from within, rather the the
singular vision of the conductor. This sharing and
evolution is felt by the public through the
performances which have personal meaning for the
collective orchestra. Contrasting this with a "old
school" conductor who chooses programs within his/her
comfort zone, and missing what the collective
orchestra might connect with more readily.

Matthew Scheffelman
horn