Jonathan West wrote:

> > 3) Hold your instructive comments until a substantial
> portion of the
> > piece has been played-- better, wait until the movement is
> finished.
> > Then go over your long list of comments with everyone.

-snip-

> I don't think this is necessarily the case. I have no
> objection to stops, provided that the stops are brief, and
> what the conductor says is to the point. I would rather there
> be a run-through towards the end of the rehearsal (if there's
> time) rather than at the beginning.

Going all the way through is, at least in my experience, more important the
lower level of musicianship in the group relative to what needed, e.g., in
difficult repertoire in my community band, the challenge is simply to make
it through without the performance falling apart.  For easier pieces where
making it through isn't in doubt, we can afford to work more piecemeal.

Just my opinion.

-S-