From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Edwin Glick
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:27 AM
To: Hornlist; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Hornlist] San Francisco Mahler 5th

Forgive the cross posts, but I thought members of both lists would like
to read the following excerpt from a review of the recent Mahler 5th
recording by the San Francisco Symphony. Scott Cantrell, the Dallas
Morning News classical music critic raises several questions about the
tempos taken by conductor Michael Tilson Thomas (you can read the entire
review at the site below), but his comments about acting/interim (?)
principal horn Robert Ward bear repeating.

". . . These two movements apart, [Cantrell's referring here primarily
to the first movement and the Adagietto]  this is a compelling
performance, the horn-led scherzo dancing with a wonderfully cocky
swing. The orchestra plays stunningly throughout, and principal horn
Robert Ward brings bright and shining tone and utter insouciance to his
cameos."

If I remember from one of Bob Ward's recent posts, he was still listed
as "acting" principal. How long does a player have to play like before
the "acting" part of his title is removed? Incidentally, contrary to how
Cantrell described them, I think the principal horn part in the Mahler
5th (especially the horn obligato in the Scherzo amount to more than
mere "cameos."

http://www.guidelive.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/performingarts/stories/DN-cla
ssical_cd_long_1014gl.ART.State.Edition1.3e28504.html