Come next year I'll have been collecting historical vocal recordings seriously for 40 years. (I started young. <g>)

With such records there is always the question of the correct playback speed. Many--maybe most--"78 rpm" records don't play at 78; some aren't even close (e.g., Caruso's 1902 G&T's, which play at around 68). This is true even of electricals, despite conventional wisdom to the contrary. I mention this up front because it complicates what follows.

Notwithstanding the above, it's pretty clear that singers transposed more 75+ years ago than they do today. When one finds that all the records made at a given session play in score pitch at one speed, and one or two sides play in a different key (but not "in the cracks") at that speed, the only logical conclusion is that the singer transposed. As late as 26 Jul 1937, Flagstad sang Dvorak's Songs My Mother Taught Me in C (soprano key: D major) when played at the same speed that puts everything else at the session in the usual soprano key. In addition, the Dvorak sounds like Flagstad at that speed and was recorded mid-session. Postulating that the turntable "hiccupped" and changed speeds by 12% (approximate changed needed for a whole tone) for only the two minutes of this one side doesn't pass the laught test. My conclusion: she transposed it, though GOK why: In the original key it would not have posed any difficulty for her at any stage of her career.

The history of recording is replete with this sort of stuff from vocalists. Grace Moore even blamed the loss of her high notes on her accompanist's facility with transposition and willingness to accomodate her requests to "take it down." I don't know of any instance, on records or otherwise, where the transposition was disclosed.

As for playing any solo instrumental piece in a key other than the one the composer wrote it, I've never even heard rumors of this happening with professionals. The Sansone edition cited must, I think, have been intended for students.

Nowadays, of course, it's considered a mortal sin for any singer to transpose, though some still do (e.g., I don't think Domingo, who I admire a lot, ever sang Di quella pira in C), and some who don't should.

As for Tombock, I think he's a superb player. Like Chris Earnest, I wonder if the transposition wasn't to accomodate the singer. Note that she also chickens out on the high B (B-flat when transposed to E-flat) at the end.

                                Howard Sanner
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]