Steven Slaff wrote:

> In the last few years I have been taught a number of
> different ways of "supporting" air by a number of different
> teachers (all were employed or retired from full time
> professional orchestras).

Having several teachers in the last few years is a less than ideal way to
study.

> The interesting (and
> confusing) thing is that some of their methods are completely
> opposing!
> Some say that you should have a "tightness" or "firmness" in your gut.
> Others say to have almost no tension whatsoever in your
> abdominal muscles.

Bad teachers assume everyone must do it their way; good teachers help
students do whatever is needed to improve their playing.

> Obviously the different methods work for different players,
> and I've been experimenting around with them recently. What
> I've discovered so far is that if my stomach is too tight, it
> inhibits the air flow out and forces me to squeeze, but if I
> have no tension in my stomach then my air stream is not quite
> strong enough for a good sound and high register playing.

This is really a matter for you and your teacher.  You must have confidence
that your teacher's approach will help your playing, otherwise you should
find a new teacher, but if you are working with experienced professionals,
each may be deserving of your trust and able to help you - but not if you
don't give them your trust and sufficient time to work with you.

> So the question to you hornlisters: How do you "support" your
> air and why?

It may be worth mentioning that "support" is an area of disagreement among
teachers of other things as well, e.g., voice.  Personally, I find thinking
about the stream of air as it passes through my embouchure does what I need
and I do not consider the issue of "support" directly in my playing, but
when I have asked my teacher about this, he just says, "You do that fine"
and we move on to something else - good enough for me.

-S-