Adam Watts wrote:

    "Seeing as the board lacks traffic at the moment, I thought it may
be
more prudent to ask this slightly odd question now. I am a freshman
physics student at UIUC, and I am working with an adviser to create an
option for my major (Engineering Physics) in Acoustics. My ultimate
goal
is to use physics in the realm of the French Horn, either by working in

a design team for a company like Conn-Selmer, or in a private shop
designing mouthpieces, or something similar; I used to make my own
mouthpieces in my high school's metal shop, and it fascinated me.
However, I'm not too sure what classes I should look for, or to whom I
should speak about entering this sort of field. I am currently in a
Physics of Music class, and am preparing to do a research project on
the
horn (the link to which I'll post here if anyone is interested), and am

currently reading Backus' /The Acoustical Foundations of Music/ and
Benade's /Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics/. Does anyone on this list
have any suggestions as to people I should contact for
advice/information, internship opportunities in the Champaign IL area,
career possibilities, books to read, or anything I would find useful? I

would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,
Adam Watts"

Hi Adam,

     Why don't you swing by my shop sometime.  I'm just West of
Champaign on highway 10 (Springfield Ave.)  I have a few other texts
the might interest you.  There's Willi Aebi's "The Horn and Its Inner
Acoustics), Reynold Schilke's "The Physics of Brass Instruments" (also
available on the Schilke website), and a host of articles that I've
collected over the years.  Walter Lawson wrote a nice little article on
mouthpieces that I have lying around someplace.  Also check out the
libraries for Acoustical Society journals.  Give me a call before you
come over though so I'm not surprised by the knock on the door.  The
number is 217-377-1462.

Take care,
Stuart de Haro

Stuart A. de Haro,
Custom Horns, Leadpipes, Brass Repair and Modification
(217) 377-1462
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.deharohorns.com