Hello Bob. At first:
A professional player should not use an instrument which has
"bad notes", as you say. The chipped notes are produced by
several causes. One is setting the slides at the wrong
position voluntarily or by routine or by error or accident.
Error & accident are the most possible causes. How often is
the third slide pushed in too far by accident, special if
the slides are greased very well. So the third slide might
cause the g# on the top to flip, as you attack it right but
the note is too sharp & you try to correct it spontaneously,
- so the accident happen. Error - well by missing necessary
care. Voluntarily - some players  (self established
semi-pros included) have set all slides full in & lip all
down or up. No wonder about the catastrophes.

Second cause for the chipped notes:
Wrong fingering. Most of us, we use a double & have a
multitude of fingerings for many notes. If there are
delicate entrances, why not using the alternative fingerings
so to ride on the most secure harmonic ? I for myself do not
use them as I do not need them. And we have learned the
advantages of both sides of the horn. But many stay
stubbornly on the one or (rarely) on the other side & chip
notes.

Third: good makers produce good instruments. If there are
defects, they origine from errors which can be eliminated,
but not under permanent price pressure. Good quality asks
for the right price.

Fourth: clonking valve linkage, well, is a minor mechanical
defect, which can be eliminated easily by a good technician
as you, off course.

Fifth: the wrong combination of horn & mouthpiece
contributes the same amount to bad horns as opinionated
players do.

Sixth: there are different measures regarding amateurs, but
should not be. Honesty is required here.

Seventh: Cryogenics or other methodes are not suited to
improve a junk horn.

Eigth: Cryogenics might have an effect or not, but it surely
has a psychological effect on the player. And, as some
people believe it, give them this service.