From: "James Wester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Horn List" <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 3:19 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] New designs for the Horn

Being the tinkerer that I am, I have always been one to like the unique
design and new cutting edge technology when it comes to most things.  So
when it comes to the horn, I've wondered why none of the new valve
technology has made it's way into the horn world.  Why hasn't anyone tried
to incorporate the Thayer valve or True-bor/Haggman valve into horn design.
It seems that the only changes that are being made are maybe valve material,
but mostly the 3 main designs of horns have stayed the same and even on the
unique designs they still use the rotary valves that provide a row of
pinched 90 degree turns.  Aside from the Veneklasen horn , which appears to
of still used the standard rotary valves, has anyone tried to incorporate
these new valve technologies into the horn and if so are there any links or
pictures of them.  Maybe even reviews of how the sounded or played.  I'm ||
this close to calling Haggman and seeing if they can make their valve in the
12.1mm variety and
 trying to do it myself.  It would have to be a single horn with these
valves, but I have an idea as to how one could make double valves with the
same approach.

Anybody know of something?

-James