Dear Hans,

You are, of course, entirely correct, and will get no argument from me.
As my response to the comment about belief and the placebo effect was
toungue-in-cheek, I did not fully develop my idea.

I intended, though perhaps too subtly, to point out the dual sides of
the practice coin - quantity and quality.

I assure you I have, in collaboration with my teacher, developed a
pattern of practice very much in keeping with your recommendations.
Mindless repetition has little value - something I am aggressively
working to teach my boys, one of whom plays Horn, and the other trumpet.
If I don't, they tend to play through their lesson material and then
wonder what to do with the other 20 minutes of their daily 30 minute
practice assignment.  They still think I am crazy when I tell them that
if they really focused on their work intelligently, they could practice
for an hour and not feel like they were done (though the 14 year old
Horn player is starting to catch on).  They are both getting
professional lessons - something I never had the opportunity when I was
growing up (well - my band instructors were professional - but not Horn
players - and with minimal resources to work with - they did their
best).  The "boring factor" for the boys is not from lack of material,
but as yet undeveloped musical imagination.

Still - there is no way I can get an effective, intelligent, targeted
practice in, without a commitment to the time needed to do it.  And it
isn't enough to do once in a while - It really has to be almost daily
(Oh, if only I were wealthy enough that I didn't have to pay the bills
with a non-horn playing job).   Skills and patterns get ingrained and
reinforced by repetition.  The lip has more strength and endurance by
giving it long workouts.  And tone improves as I no longer have to
consciously think about the mechanics of producing it.

Have I arrived?  No!  In fact, the further I go, the more I realize just
how far I have to go.  But I continue to make progress.

On a nearly unrelated note, I am anticipating the experience tonight of
listening to one of the world's leading orchestras play Mahler 6!

Timothy A. Johnson
Campus Technologies
Northwestern College
St. Paul, Minnesota