How do you remove a mandrel that has hills and dips? What you describe sounds like the result of someone trying to learn mandrel turning. You can be reasonably assured there was a detail drawing and probably a template preserving the exact shape.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 6:44 AM
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: French Besson Trumpets

I heard the following story from a US Army soldier, and trumpet player, who was there when the French Besson factory was liberated from the Germans in World War
II.

He was a close friend of mine, and played trumpet in the local symphony for some thirty years. His son plays trumpet in St. Louis, I'm told. His name was
Harold Smitheman, and he passed away a couple of years ago.

It seems that after the Besson factory was liberated, one of the US engineers
came across the leadpipe mandrels that were used in pre war instrument
producion. He noticed that the mandrels did not have an even taper, but had both hills and dips in them. Thinking them to be totally usless, the engineer put the mandrels in a lathe, smoothed them down to an even taper, and used them for some type of project. Thus the French Besson sound was lost to the world.

Harold, who happened to own a French Besson protested, but rank has its
privileges, and Harold lost the battle.

Wilbert in SC