Sorry Hans, your ironic rebuttal contained many errors and proves my point.
This was a copy editor nightmare.  The next day post was much more lucid and
erudite. When you take time to compose an intelligent post, you are interesting
writer.  The posts composed in anger or speed are not so well done.
  See. Sehend.  Both words in each language have multiple use.  Perception,
'Did you see a difference in the leadpipe sound.', is a correct use of see.  It
may be incongruient in German but correct in English.  There are  30+ listed
uses of see in Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary.   I won't be
'schwer fallen' and  list all of them.
  Most Americans aren't multilingual as you have noted.  There is no national
educational system to oversee this apalling over sight.  Schools are
administrated at the local level so any correction to this problem will
probably never be addressed.
Sayanara.

William Botte