Steve Freides wrote:
...  I guess I'm looking for suggestions as either a
percentage of the list price or a percentage of what the big
mail-order places sell for.

Why not do a search on eBay, and base your evaluation on what someone has actually paid for a similar horn? You can even print the page, so you'll have a document to include with your return, if necessary.

Unless you plan to provide dealer-type service to the school, you can't really justify a dealer price. But folks who buy from an individual on eBay don't expect dealer support, so what someone is willing to pay there would be a very believable evaluation.