Actually what Maazel is known for in this country is building orchestras and
having exemplary technical chops. All orchestras go through love affairs and
discord with Music Directors. What I find most interesting about the article is
that Maazel hired many of the wind and brass players that the reviewer loves
but gets no credit for it.

Just to add a touch of perspective, I have lived in NY for a long time and
until I saw the article on the front page of the Sun   while waiting for a
train
had never bought the paper. Now he called the CSO an orchestra on the edge
but in a review of a recent CSO concert loved the winds and brass with the
exception of a few shrill high notes in the trumpet (Mahler 7). The other
newspaper
in town (NY Times) called the CSO winds some of the best they had heard.
Reviewers are paid to express their opinions and they are just that opinions.

I would also say that the visiting orchestras he lists play in Carnegie and
the NY Phil plays in Avery Fischer.   An important distinction that he neglects
to mention in an article that implies he is comparing apples when you put the
hall into the picture it becomes apples and oranges.

Debbie Schmidt
Tisch Center for the Arts