When a friend decided to reduce his inventory of horns
and sell his Paxman 10 (medium belled, yellow brass Bb
single, stopping valve, F-extension), I jumped to buy
it, for two reasons:
1) This is a horn that can ease me into my senior
years since it is easy to blow and play, and is light
to hold.  I took off the F-extension piping since I
don't need to play the missing low notes when I use
this horn, and removing the F-extension piping reduces
the weight-- playing off-the-leg is very easy with
such a light horn.
2) Compared to my Elkhart 8D, my playing endurance is
significantly increased with the Paxman 10, so I use
it for the bloody church orchestra rehearsals where
the director drives the brass to exhaustion.  And,
this horn is much more secure and responsive in the
upper range compared to the 8D.

Playing all the notes on the Bb side calls for one to
practice the Bb fingerings, but I think being adept
with Bb fingerings is a good skill to have.

It's a pleasure having two playing horns with very
different playing characteristics and tone colors. I
play both horns everyday, and select the horn for the
venue-- if I were playing the 2nd or 4th horn part in
a concert band, the 8D would get the call, for
example.

Finding a good single horn, in tune and responsive in
all ranges, reduces the necessity for the double horn
configuration.  There is a subtle beauty in playing on
a single horn where there is no cross-over transition
between horn sides.