Air Speed VS Air Volume..

I don't think it is so much a back-pressure issue
rather than it
is a air speed issue.
I think with the practice mute what might be happening
is, that it is easier for the student to not work so
hard to get the speed of air up. The extra resistance
with the mute allows the player to back off with the
air enough to let the trill happen. Now, this backing
off is not to be confused with the speed of the air,
which needs to be increased/maintained to make a trill
happen effectively. When there is No mute in the horn,
the student may think they need to BLOW HARDER to get
the air speed up. This BLOWING HARDER has the opposite
effect and creates a overload of VOLUME of air, rather
than air speed (or focus of air, another good way to
put air
speed). Too much Volume of air will overload the chops
and make trills slow and labored.

To solve these issues, come see me at my
studio....just joking.....

1.Get the buzz higher up the the head...feel like you
buzzing more with the lips than with just air.( i know
we do buzz with the lips, but it is a feeling) get the
trill going with the mouthpiece only.
2.Do the whistle trill slowly at first, then get it
really fast like a special effect, this whistling
action of the tongue is very similar to the action the
tongue makes while trilling, but more subtle.
3. The action of the tongue in any register change is
important. It helps balance between air volume and air
speed along with the mechanics of the throat. Trumpet
teachers sometimes downplay this tongue action as to
keep things very simple, which I can understand due to
their level of intellect. :O)

Now the caveat being these are the basics as I see
them, if someone has a special lack of trill talent,
then any number of other concepts may be need to be
used.

Matthew Scheffelman