Many of Schubert's Lieder are technically easy, but wonderful and inspiring music. The first volume of the Peters Edition has the three great cycles plus many of the best known Lieder.

Daniel

Sandra Clark wrote:
... we don't get many A level composers from which to choose!

We sort of do though, but we have to snitch. As I like to mention here from time to time - thanks, Sandra, for the excuse - there is a large repertoire of great music by composers of the First Table that hornists can play, but which was not composed for us. There are already available to us lots of arrangements of classical pieces, but why wait for someone to publish an arrangement?

The Mozart bass-baritone aria collection is just one of many usable vocal books. Aside from solo opportunities like these, there are violin duet books, and my favorite, trio sonatas, where the horn can often play the 2nd melody line, and sometimes also the 1st, making some of these pieces into concertos for two horns and bass (bass could be piano and/or bassoon or cello - or a low horn!). These kinds of pieces connect us to Vivaldi, Telemann, Stamitz, Handel, Pezel, Quantz, Tartini, Loeillet, various Bachs, ...

All you have to do is transpose to C.

       {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
       { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }