My personal view is that original music to be transposed, often makes more sense to me than transposed parts; especially for classical era works. I find it much easier to perceive the function of the notes (root, dominant, seventh, etc) in original notation than transposed parts. The usual transpositions such as E, Eb, D, C, and G for instance, are easier to read and make more sense to me than transposed parts. I am an old player, though, and pretty thoroughly ingrained with transposition as I am now 80 years old. When I was first starting I was delighted to get transposed parts at. Later, as I was more experienced I began to prefer the original parts. I still teach transposition. I think it is a good and useful skill and makes us into better players. Young kids need the experience to grow in this craft as players. Face it. Publishers will not underwrite transposed parts when they have perfectly good, playable parts in their stockpiles of music.

CORdially,  Mansur's Answers

On Jan 23, 2007, at 2:10 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

That's all very well as long as there are transposed copies to play from. Often there aren't.

Emory Waters

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 1:26 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: transposing

You people who 'insist' on having horn players transpose make me laugh. It's so ridiculous. It's like saying if you're going to drive a car you have to learn to drive a stick. No you don't, it's so silly. Drive the automatic and
give yourself
less grief. I have often found more mistakes on the 'originals' than the
transposed copies.
Play the transposed F part and get involved with the music you're playing, watch the conductor, be in sync with the rest of the section, the rest of the
symphony.
Leave the mental gymnastics to the Rubik's cube....and yes, I can transpose
quite well thank
you very much.
Jim
unsubscribe or set options at http://music2.memphis.edu/mailman/ options/horn/eww02%40aol.com ______________________________________________________________________ __ Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.