From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Simon Varnam
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:44 AM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Audacity

        Someone mentioned recording oneself to check ones
sound. I have used the (free) software "Audacity" and found
it useful for checking rhythm:
are my triplets all equal, etc.
        Does anyone know how to use it to analyse tone and
pitch?

        The software allows one to zoom in on a sound and
see how the volume grows from the start, and fades away.
        There are also alternative display options to show
the "spectra". What these really mean I don't quite
understand; my physics doesn't go that far. I'd be much
obliged for some guidance on how to use these to see what my
sound is made up of and what it lacks (or could do without).

        I understand the point of using ones own ears, but
that is totally subjective and depends on surroundings a
great deal: everyone sings beautifully in the bath.
        There is the feedback through the skull to consider,
and also my hearing is not as good as it once was. I'd like
a more objective evaluation of my sound. Then I can start to
work on improving it.

Any ideas, please?
(BTW Horn-players are few and far between around here
(Japan, but not Tokyo), and those few I know wouldn't dream
of commenting on a senior player's sound, so colleagues'
opinions are not an option.)

Thanks,

Simon