At 06:45 AM 1/25/2007, you wrote:

WWHS--What would Hans say? You have to learn to transpose!

  My snow blower can only pitch in F.

That's why I had a new carb installed. It now runs at A 440...hehehehe, thus making it easier to transpose from hard packing snow to powder with no clams at all!

By the way, South Eastern Michigan had about an inch last evening, so unfortunately, I had to fire it up and transpose some powder this A.M...

I am enjoying the discussion on transposing. My Brass Quintet, Artistry in Brass is hired quite often for Church service work, and so I get the opportunity quite often to transpose from the hymn book. I use that example with my students to introduce this type of skill. Earlier this month, one of my students was playing an Honors band at Wayne State University in Detroit and she was upset when the other horn players (the ones that weren't my students, of seven horns, three were my students) complained that they couldn't transpose Eb parts on an old march, so the Director scrapped it from the program. The Director and I discussed it after his son's horn lesson. I think many of the younger so called "teachers" are lazy in not pushing their students to transpose. With modern publishers, and the band directors buying new music, even "arranged" March transcriptions the kids are rarely seeing Eb parts, unless someone pulls out an old "warhorse" like the Director at Wayne State did, to play. Ah, yes the dumbing down of our Nation's youth, but that's another story.

I guess I'll get off of my soap box.

Walt Lewis

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
PM