Dear List-
Speaking of practice mutes, I heard a story from my horn teacher about a band director who was needing to buy mutes for his horns. He saw in the catalogue, "practice mutes" and bought several of those, thinking that he would upgrade his horn players to "real mutes" when they got good enough. He wasn't sure what to do when, after receiving the mutes, he couldn't hear the horns at all. Ha ha.

That story is up there with the story of the band director who got his brass players in tune and then soldered the slides in place so that they would always be in tune.

I hope that these are only stories, but I'm not so sure.

William Foss

Paul Ingraham's advice to young horn players:
Find a good teacher. Practice diligently. Watch what you say to your colleagues.