I agree! It does work! And the price is certainly right, as Herb Foster said. It cost me $1.29, including a half liter of Perrier.

I tried it first without the cap on and decided that for me this was not a good answer for me. Then I took and ice pick and poked a little hole, as Kathy suggested, in the bottom and had more resistance than I wanted. I took a paring knife and increased the size of the slit to approximately the width of the blade. I still wasn't pleased, but I increased the size of the slit to the width of the blade.

While the intonation leaves something to be desired, I like it better than my Silent Brass. It has the further advantage of fitting into the bell while the horn is in the case for transport.

I'll probably do a bit more experimentation, e.g., some small strips of weather proofing and variations in the size of the slit. But for me, now, I think this is a reasonable solution. I only have to do this two times a year for about three days each. This ought to keep me from going completely to pot while I'm out of town. If I were still traveling as much as I did prior to my retirement (about 70% of the time!), I'm not sure I'd be satisfied, but for six days a year it should do the job.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions...

Regards...

Tom

An /old/ (76!) horn player who returned after a long layoff...

Kathy Lowe wrote:
Well whatdayaknow! It works!  At least for what I
needed to do, maintain the lips and work on technique.
I cut a slit in the bottle to let a little more air
escape.
I wouldn't want to use it long term (centering some
notes was a little wonky) but for the occasional week
of business travel, it's allright and a heck of a lot
cheaper than a silent brass.
Kathy
Going home today YEA!