Somebody wrote:

> There's a right-handed horn on eBay.. Item#180077500691

That somebody took the chance to anonymously announce that instrument of his
own being up auction.
I am not against such announcements. Only I think they should be done openly by
presenting ones
name.

I should not support such bad practises by replying, but I checked that auction
and this morning I
came to referring it with my personal reference disk-based storages:

This instrument was up for discussion on this list some 15 months ago. I wrote
something, which
has been badly twisted in the current auction presentation. I have nothing
against being quoted,
but I prefer being quoted true to the contents of my writing. To put things
right I will quote,
what I wrote on Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:14:10 -0800 (PST) on this list (other names
than mine are
X-ed):

XX has sent me some photos, and my initial suspicions were fully confirmed.

Aside from one-off creations for disabled horn players right-handed horns
always are military
horns from two European countries:

Italy made them with pistons. I own a such single F made by Saporetti & Capelli
of Firenze

Pre-WWII Germany made them as 3-rotors’ single Bb flat horns. Miraphone has had
such a model in
its catalogues within the last 20 years.

The purpose was, that when bands were formed from enlisted amateur musicians,
"surplus" trumpeters
could be placed on horn.

The unusual thing about XX’s horn is, that it is a compensating double, not
just a single Bb.

But the true give away about its origins are the crowns stamped into the bell.
I am not enough of
a heraldic to tell whether they are the Imperial German or the royal Saxonian
crown.

But this instrument for sure has been made for a German army regiment before
the end of WWI.

I am fairly sure that the maker was Sächsische Musikinstrumentenmanufaktur -
Schuster & Co of
Markneukirchen. This is the only maker, whom I have seen having these state
approval stamps placed
on his instruments.

For the true freaks it is obvious, that the profile of the bell as well as some
other details are
remarkably similar to some Hoyer horns of today. I may elaborate on that on
another day.

(Snip of a paragraph not relevant for this matter)

Klaus