This is my annual message noting that the horn list has been around for another year. The list was started in February 1994 (I don't remember the exact date) with about 25 members. We peaked at a little over 1000 email addresses in the subscriber base a few years ago, and have "leveled off" around 950. You are spread around the globe and represent students and amateurs, university faculty, and part-time and full-time professionals. You generously share your knowledge and experience with one another to enrich our collective experience as hornists. I thank those of you who ask questions, those who answer questions, and those who listen in--you all contribute.

The list was begun as an adjunct to the International Horn Society, and though that formal relationship no longer exists, I would still urge you all to consider membership in that fine organization. Information about the Society is easily located on the web (though not for me at the moment because I'm sitting in an Amtrak car on a business trip and my internet connection is a little tenuous).

Lastly, I should like to acknowledge the inestimable contribution to the list by Dan Phillips, horn professor at the University of Memphis, who graciously provides the technical know-how to operate the list, and to the University for hosting the list on its server. If you have the chance, be sure to thank Dan for his work, which is often invisible to listers but without which the list could not function.

My best to all.

Gary Greene
horn list owner