Simon,

I have done a number of arrangements for horn trio. many of them are published by Brasssworks 4 Publishing. At their web page (http://www.brassworks4.com/) you can download free samples of the scores to see if they fit your needs. Some other trios are available from other publishers. See my web page
(http://users.penn.com/~jhilf/)

Jay Hilfiger

A couple of friends of mine (a trumpeter and a tuba-player) come round
to my place regularly to play my spare horns, just for fun.
We've been "doing" the 4th volume of Reicha Trios, but they are a bit
too hard. We are not going to get them together any better than they
are now without some dedicated horn playing.

What can you recommend at a slightly easier level?

They are beginning to understand how and why the Reicha suits the horn
so well, and are even beginning to apply their new skills and knowledge
of the physics of brass playing to their regular instruments, so
something specifically for horn would probably be better than the
arrangements of popular pieces ("Liebestraum" for saxophone trios and
the like) that are available on the music shops around here.

Any recommendations?

Simon