This is slightly NHR, as it concerns a teaching technique that worked for a cornet player, but it might work just as well for horn players.

I recently stumbled on the CD "Radio Transcriptions", which is a collection of the playing of Red Nichols and his Five Pennies. The pieces were broadcast on the radio in 1929-1930. For those of you not in the know, Red Nichols and his Five Pennies were a popular and innovative jazz band at that time; also they are the protagonist in the 1959 movie "The Five Pennies", starring Danny Kaye, Barbara Bel Geddes, and Louis Armstrong. Must see - you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll hear great music.

However, what caught my eye was part of Red's biography from the blurb inside the CD case. Red's father was a professional musician, teacher, conductor, and a professor of music. "His father believed that practice makes perfect and made Red practice the cornet for at least an hour before breakfast. He rewarded mistakes with a crack on the knuckles. Red's precision, tone, and mastery of his instrument were developed early because of his father's strict discipline."

Such pedagogical techniques have likely long fallen into disuse; yet they equally likely helped to produce this fine musician, land him immortality in music history, and left us with a great musical legacy. In retrospect, was Red better or worse off for his treatment? Are there any moms or dads here who would like to weigh in on unusual teaching techniques that have paid off for their youngsters? Is the world missing some excellent musicians because dad was too timid to whack his little prodigy?

On the detail level, if you are going to crack knuckles, would it make more musical sense for cornet and horn dads to target the right hand?

( I ascribe to none of the above, I ask questions only; do not try this at home; your mileage may vary)

--
       {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
       { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }