From: matthew scheffelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:22:41 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] Sibelius Effect..... Bad Low ball...

If one of the last things I wrote was the Sibelius
Seventh Symphony (one of the greatest pieces of music,
ever) I would quit composing.
The insult is silly and immature. Clearly someone with
a fear of polar bears and long winters. All joking
aside.........

....Sibelius's music is not for the large Ego. He
wrote music that is wildly considered to be
unrewarding to the performing musician (unofficial
poll). Unrewarding music for the performer (not the
soloist mind you) has some negative reviews and
questions behind it...Consider and compare the
so-called rival for the time, Mahler. Mahler's music
was ego driven for the orchestra, and oh so rewarding
(how many of us Horn players drool over the sight of a
Mahler score?).
Sibelius was a Monet of sorts, his abstract and
completely beautiful choices of sound was a stark
contrast to other composers of his time. While he
loved Wagner, I think he was moved by other emotions
of sound.
Curiously, he had the gift of Synesthesia. I think
that fact alone may explain much of his sound palate.

Matthew Scheffelman
Horn