Tom, I use a B.E.R.P. to do most of my warming up backstage before concerts. I
like to do my usual routine of scales and arpeggios and finger the notes (as
much as feasible) to emulate actual playing. I guess one of the reasons I use
the B.E.R.P. is to score some "Brownie" points with the string players because
it's soft. They all really like me now. They all wish all the other brass
players would warm up on the B.E.R.P.....

Seriously, there are many other reasons, one being I can't get into a warm-up
"competition" with anyone else backstage (higher, louder, faster). I usually
want to save my embouchure for the actual performance. I don't want to waste it
getting sucked into a "blastfest" session just before the concert.

 Another advantage is other players don't really know if you are missing any
notes. They really can't tell what note you are playing (nor I for that
matter!). The true advantages of using the B.E.R.P.  on a daily basis is that
it can be set for varying amounts of back pressure. There is an adjustable
plastic sleeve to cover as many holes as one desires. One can cover almost all
the holes for a lot of back pressure (good for embouchure building) or leave
all the holes uncovered to work on air speed and air volume. Regardless, this
device is instrumental for toning my embouchure in ways that cannot be achieved
otherwise. It's a bit like the cross training serious athletes do.

I do not play more than 1/2 hour per day on the B.E.R.P. It's for the same
reasons I never play for more than 1/2 hour on a practice mute, no matter how
good the quality. The danger here lies in getting stuck with a "small" sound
that won't carry to the back of the hall. People who only practice in small,
dry practice rooms face the same dilemma when they get on stage and say"but it
sounded good in the practice room". Let's face it, nothing can replace good
solid horn practice (without any encumbrances) in the big hall.

Gerald Onciul
Assistant Principal Horn
Edmonton Symphony
Professor of Horn