Dave M. breathlessly reports:

<message: 7
<date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 06:04:56 GMT
<from: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<subject: Re: [Hornlist] Re: most difficult works
<
<Hi Horn Folks-
<
<Just to throw my two cents in here:
<
<I recently had the opportunity to attend a performance of Mahler 5 by
<the Gewandhaus Orchestra (Leipzig) at Orchestra Hall in Chicago.  Wow,
<what a show. =
<
<I wanted to say that their principal horn player played the 3rd
<movement obligato part like I've never heard - it was just thrilling.
<Him and the section frequently played with bells up (way above the
<shoulders) and it was very effective.  Now for the risk taking part,
<the section was very tight and I only heard a few fracked notes in the
<tutti parts, none very bad at all.  However, one of the loud solo horn
<calls in 3rd movement the pricipal really missed.  I mean like what the
<h*** was that coming out of the horn.  I loved it.  That made the
<performace for me.  Maybe it is hard to explain, but it would have been
<so boring had he not gone all out and taken risks.  Hearing a splat
<made it a lot more real for me.  It is sad that a lot of people learn
<all the rep listening to edited and perfected studio recordings, it
<just is not the same.  =
<
<I hope you all out there know what I mean.  Man was that impressive,
<all-out but exquisitely refined horn-playing.  I'll never forget I
<hope. I'd much, much prefer to hear that than a conservative and
<boring rendition. =
<
<Goodnight , =
<
<Dave Meichle
<Lawrence University
<
<ps. Was anyone at this concert 2 weekends ago?  =

I just want to alert NYC folk that this is on the program Tuesday March 6
(tomorrow) at Carnegie. I gots my ticket - waddabout you?

Peter Hirsch