Joyce Rainwalker wrote:
Here's my question for the group: When a battle becomes heated, like the recent one surrounding the online trumpet teacher and his devotees and detractors, is it the practice of the other members of the list to 1) simply ignore it until it goes away, 2) politely ask that the mud-slinging and barb throwing be taken off list to protect our keyboards, or 3) call for a "time out" on the playground?

For most folks: 1.

2 or 3 depend on the topic. If it's reasonably horn- or music-related and decorum is maintained reasonably, usually it's allowed to keep going. If not horn-related, or if the discussion has broken down into little more than name-calling, someone will probably encourage all parties to "take it outside." *Very* rarely will the list owner step in and tell us to knock it off. (There is another horn list run on Yahoo's servers where the list owner will step in a bit more frequently.)

At least that's how it's seemed to work for the circa 10 years (wow, I guess it really has been that long!) that I've been reading this list.

Greg