I do not recall any low note like this one written by Bizet.
The old notation of the Bass clef was like in the following
example (you do the mathematics by yourself; the notation is
in F, so to avoid confusion by mixing notation & actual
sound): bass clef, read note on first line from below, play
note below 2nd ledger line below the staff as it were
trebble clef  ( if all were trebble clef :  ).

New modern notation: same as above but play the result one
octave lower (if all were trebble clef : read e1 = G =
sounds C ). Please note, that we have the octaves numbered &
use capital letters for the lowest:

The c1 sits on the first ledger line below staff, the c2 in
the 2nd space from top, the c3 on the 2nd ledger line above
staff, while the c sits below 4rth ledger line below staff
or on the 2nd ledger line below staff when bass clef old
notation & in second space from below when modern bass clef
notation. The C is one octave lower & the C1 is two octaves
lower than c, respectively two octaves lower & the C1 three
octaves lower than c1 (on first ledger line below staff).
The C might be notated on the 2nd ledger line below staff in
modern bass clef, the C1 has the additional 8va sign below.

This is international notation.