We have to have a closer look to these warm-ups & their
abuse. Also in Europe, we had & still have similar things
than the Farkas warm-ups: The old fashion Josef Schantl
method. It was abused the same way as is Farkas. Teachers &
students as well thought that all exercises have to be
followed point to point. If the exercise is going up to c3,
the student has to play up to the c3. WRONG ! Double WRONG !
Why ? The student has not even improved the g2. So what to
do ? Improve the (reduced) average range first and improve
it again, not by the same exercises, but by equally cut
exercises. The next exercises go higher for a half step.
Until this next step is not improved & double improved, no
further next step, means, the cuts remain the same: nothing
higher than g2 or g#2. And the same is for the lower notes:
step by step also. Quality before quantity, read: quality
before range extension. PUNCTUM !!!

So no wonder, why your teacher & you did not make any
progress regarding upper range extension. You cannot force
that, except ruining everyday what you gained the other day.
This is false ambition, false ambition. Everything must be
acquired step by step not by jumping two steps perhaps.

And what is so beautiful with the high range ? The whistling
tone quality ? All seem to run for the high notes for their
own satisfaction. Isn´t music a reproducing art & a mere
service to the creators of the master pieces ? Not only for
the professionals, but also for the vast mass of amateurs.
Isn´t it a great satisfaction to take part on this
reproduction to the joy of others, to the entertainment of
other - no matter on what position ? Dont we need threetimes
the number of tutti players than the first players ? (Except
the two horn or eight horn pieces, few six horn pieces, some
few three, five or seven horn pieces, rarely one horn alone
- just to be correct). But there are many amateurs using
playing music as some kind of self entertainment to sprinkle
incense each other ......

The Smiley method might be found useful by some players, but
it is not the only medicine. There are more than a single
street leading to Rome ! - And, sorry Valerie, we
professionals might know more books on horn playing than you
even can imagine. Most of them you have never heard about.
- Besides two players a hundred miles away from my area of
seven professional full time orchestras in one city (three
of them in the rank of the best paid & biggest in Germany)
with 39 full time professional horn players, I have not seen
any one using this Smiley method book.

With the Smiley book it is the same with many others: one
has to read them (best under the guideline of a rare
objectively judging teacher) & work them NOT from top to
bottom, but taking out the ESSENCE of it, the useful
essence. If so, there will be a solution for most problems.

But if one is not gifted for an instrument, if the person is
physically not conditioned for a particular instrument, if
the nervous constitution does not match the requirements for
a particular instrument, all books cannot help, special if
read alone without a guiding teacher.

And remember: it is not you who judges your playing, but
your audience.