It was a prisoner-of-war camp (he was a captured French soldier), and he died in 1992 (Messiaen, Copland, Bernstein -- bad year for composers). There's more to the story, too.

When his unit was captured, he was carrying a pillowcase full of papers. When the Germans tried to take it from him he fought for it so hard that the Germans had to beat him into unconsciousness to get it from him. Thinking they had captured some important dispatches or other items of intelligence value, they dumped the pillowcase onto a table, and out fell scores by Mozart, Beethoven, Bach ...

I'm not a historian, so I won't offer any opinion as to the truth/factfullness of the story, but it is a great story about one of my favorite composers.

date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:53:36 -0400
from: David Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
subject: Re: [Hornlist] Bernhard Heiden

Inspired by Mara's original question, I wondered if the French composer Olivier Messiaen is Jewish. Messiaen was interned in a Nazi concentration camp in 1940 and while there, he composed a quartet for the four instruments that were available to him, these being a piano, violin, clarinet, and a cello with only three strings. You could say that this quartet is painful and deep. The quartet was performed in the camp for the inmates and prison guards. What a moment that must have been. In any case Messiaen, still living I think, is Christian, and was captured as a French soldier. For what it is worth, that's all interesting in the story of this very unlikely case of a composition, at least.