To do a thorough seach the hard drive must be indexed, and this should take around an hour for a small drive, say 50GB or so.

This data is kept on the hard drive itself, and that is what is searched, rather than the files themselves, which is done during the indexing process. One can understand the logic of not having to wait an hour for each search.

I wouldn't want my index data stored by Google or Yahoo.

Carlberg