Ah, at last, another go-around on this topic! There is
so much for each of us to write.  I feel sorry for
those starting up with this topic and getting so much
different and sometimes conflicting advice.  I think
it helps to understand a few principles.
1. Brass rotor surfaces should be oiled to prevent
deterioration; oiling rotor surfaces can help
performance by improving valve action.
2. There is an optimal thickness (viscosity) for every
moving surface on the horn-- basically, the tighter
the clearance, the thinner the oil needs to be.
Finding the right viscosity it most important for
valve bearings and rotor surfaces.  If your valves are
noisy, try a thicker oil on the bearings to take up
the slack and to reduce vertical movement.
3. Oil often and sparingly; keep the slide grease and
the rotor oil (in the horn) separated (small
quantities; wipe and reapply slide grease
frequently)-- this is a constant battle, but you can
keep the oil and grease separated with diligent
housekeeping.

And this is a new wrinkle for the experts to explain--
some oils (kerosene, Selmer grease) maintain good
separation from water, while some other lubricants
create a messy cream-colored emulsion with water.  The
oil-water emulsions make a mess in the horn and can
create a serious performance problem-- one time my 8D
would not allow anyone to play a high F#.  I cleaned
the horn by forcing water through it, with a
significant amount of the white emulsion mess coming
out of the bell.  Then the horn played fine.  Has
anyone studied this emulsion problem of some
lubricants?

      Don't be flakey.  Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to
friends.    http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail